MySQL Tools for Visual Studio is a plug-in for Visual Studio 2005 which allows developer to maintain database structures and objects all from within the Visual Studio environment. Please note that as of this release, data-driven applications including use of the DataSet designer are not supported.
To use the plugin you must have the following items installed:
- Visual Studio 2005 (Express products are not supported)
- .NET 2.0 (this is installed as part of Visual Studio 2005)
- You also need access to an installation of MySQL Server 4.0 or later.
Once installed, using the plugin is very simple.
- Create a new connection to MySQL by choose either the Tools -> Connect to Database menu option or clicking the Connect To Database button in Server Explorer.
- On the Connect to Database dialog, you can choose MySQL as your data source and click Continue.
- Enter your credentials for the selected database server and choose ok.
- Once connected, the database objects (tables, stored procedures, etc) will appear in Server Explorer.
- You can manipulate these objects using context menus by right clicking on them in Server Explorer.